A   A   A   A

Camp Cachalot Alumni Association Forums

Campfire songs
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Camp Cachalot Alumni Association Forum Index -> Don't Know Much About History
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BrianB
Alumnus

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 8:28 am 
Post subject: If You're Talking About Skits...

Tom Bednarz as Hawkeye the Detective

There should have been a movie.

Brian
Tom Whelan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 8:03 am 
Post subject: Hawkeye...

I can't say that I recall that particular skit, it rings a bell, but the plot doesn't come to mind.
Dennis Wilkinson
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 10:56 am 
Post subject:

It was sometimes called Lester the Detective ("I'm drawing water from my well!", jump over the bucket, under the tree branch, et cetera) with a punch line of "I'm Listerine the Disinfectant"/"Hawkeye the Disinfectant".

Tom B. was one of those people who actually looked like he was running into a tree branch that wasn't there. Heck, I was always just glad he didn't break anything. Very Happy

"Everything that passes unattempted is impossible." - Stephen R. Donaldson
Peter Ashworth
Alumnus

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 7:13 pm 
Post subject: Re: Oh yeah

Peter Ashworth wrote:
"Hey you, complete and total stranger, with the scout axe...". Anyone else remember that bit?

For those of you following this thread, I posed the question but am currently uncertain of the answer. It was a campfire starter. I think Dennis would sit in the audience with an axe slung across his shoulder. (Did they cover that in Totem Chip?) I would go on stage singing "Stranger in the night, I'm always weird but I'm stranger in the night...." I would then ask for a volunteer from the audience. "Hey you, complete and total stranger....." To tell you the truth I don't remember what happened next. Maybe the Bug's Bunny theme?
rdupontcsr
Tenderfoot

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 7:56 pm 
Post subject: Skit Ideas

Hey guys! It's Rene, the current program director out at cachalot. I wanna bring some new ideas for songs and skits to camp this summer and any help would be appreciated. Is there anything you guys would like to be brought back??? Either repost or e-mail me at: rdupontcsr@comcast.net

By the way... does anybody remember the old tv show on mtv called the state. there's some good motivation and skit ideas that would pulled off that. some of the stuff is off color and we obviously didn't use that but there were some really corny things that worked out perfectly.
Dennis Wilkinson
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 6:24 pm 
Post subject: Re: Oh yeah

Peter Ashworth wrote:
I think Dennis would sit in the audience with an axe slung across his shoulder. (Did they cover that in Totem Chip?) I would go on stage singing "Stranger in the night, I'm always weird but I'm stranger in the night...." I would then ask for a volunteer from the audience. "Hey you, complete and total stranger....." To tell you the truth I don't remember what happened next. Maybe the Bug's Bunny theme?

Well, just so I don't lose any corners off the ol' Toten' Chip, we did have that axe with the wooden head... Wink

I don't remember the exact schtick, but yes, it would eventually lead in to the Bugs Bunny Show theme (and a Staff kick-line.) Strictly an opening campfire starter. What I don't remember exactly was how we got from point A to point B (mostly because I'm pretty sure it changed from campfire to campfire.)

Dennis Wilkinson
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 6:36 pm 
Post subject: Re: Skit Ideas

rdupontcsr wrote:
Hey guys! It's Rene, the current program director out at cachalot. I wanna bring some new ideas for songs and skits to camp this summer and any help would be appreciated. Is there anything you guys would like to be brought back??? Either repost or e-mail me at: rdupontcsr@comcast.net

Since I missed heading out to Camp last summer, as I'm sure other people posting here did, it might help if you posted a list of what you've been doing for skits and songs (well, maybe just the top 10 or 15 songs -- skits have a tendency to settle in to 4 or 5 during the summer.) Maybe that'll prod our memories for what's missing. I do have a few older songbooks kicking around over here.

Quote:
By the way... does anybody remember the old tv show on mtv called the state.

Old? <cantankerous older Scouter voice>Heck, I remember when MTV launched! Did'ja know they played music videos back then? None of this "Newlyweds" malarkey!</cantankerous older Scouter voice>. Wink

Yeah, I remember the show. We tried one year, without too much success, unfortunately, to try to do some "improv" stuff to come up with new skits (a little like "Whose Line is it Anyway?") Give the Staff a box of odd props, a couple of themes, and see what happens. Again, you've got to filter out the rude, but it might work out, with the right group of Staffers.

Michael Escobar
Tenderfoot

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 4:04 pm 
Post subject: Re: Skit Ideas

rdupontcsr wrote:

I found a nice website that gives the verses for a number of songs:

http://www.scoutsongs.com/categories/index.html

On a similar note, I have thought about how I might change/modify some of the old songs. One thought was that Old McDonald's farm could use a few new residences:

a) Elephants
b) The Flu (or infulenza??)j
c) perhaps either "Atom bomb" or a more updates "WMD's". (hmmm, or is the poliital climate a bit touchy about these things right now. It is hard to tell from up here in the North...)
d) ???? (seems that one could come up with some weirder things)

Any way, just some thoughts...

- Mike
Tom Whelan

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 8:01 am 
Post subject: Raffi

Now that I have children and am constantly listening to Raffi and other children's artists I've realized that the fun songs we sang at Camp are really kids songs. The big difference is that we put a fun spin on them.

Recently I heard Raffi sing 'Down by the Bay', 'Corner Grocery Store (Quartermaster's Store)', 'Boom Boom (Ain't it great to be crazy)', and many others.

This gets me to thinking that:

1) Many of these songs must be in the public domain which makes them fodder for a new songbook.

2) A great place to find new camp songs is on children's albums.

By the way, another great local artist is Steven Songs (Boston area). I went to a children's concert in New Bedford last summer and the kids all loved him.
Dennis Wilkinson
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 2:02 pm 
Post subject:

I don't know that it's safe to assume that these songs are in the public domain; a lot of these songs get re-recorded by kid's artists under mechanical licenses. There are probably a few, though -- we've got a book of nursery rhymes around here somewhere with something suspiciously like "Quartermaster's Store".

If I remember right, Peter Ashworth brought "Ain't It Great to be Crazy" to camp after seeing the song in one of the songbooks his mother used with her elementary school students. I think "Tie Me Kangaroo Down" came from the same songbook, although that's not where it originated.

Just as many camp songs are folk songs (some of which are very old, and are in the public domain) or are parodies of folk songs.

And Tom, I know you've got kids, but... Raffi? At least buy the family a copy of No! by They Might Be Giants... Wink

DerekL999
New User

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 12:37 am 
Post subject:

Some songs I remember (and I believe it'd be around 1983-1985) would be :

"The cat came back ... the very next day,
the cat came back ... they thought he was a goner"

Was that a Peter, Paul, and Mary tune? Charlie on the MBTA was another one that was sung.

The Court of King Caracticus was one that I could actually complete. "if you want to take some pictures of the fascinating witches who put the sintillating stitches in the britches of the boys who put the powder on the noses of the faces of the ladies of the harem of the court of King Caracticus ... you're too late ... cuz they just PAST BY!"

One song our troop (troop 2 of Somerset) used to do alot was the

"If I weren't a boy scout, as you can plainly see, if I weren't a boy scout a <blank> I would be"

and you'd have things like

carpenter "2 by 4 ... and nail it to the floor"
farmer "feed the chickens and milk the cows"
plumber "flush, flush, plunge, plunge, look out below"

and then there was an alternate on a standard

"eat alotta, eat alotta, eat a lotta pizza
oh no, don't drop the pizza ...
Gobble Gobble Gobble Gobble Gobble Gobble Bleh.."

I also remember a skit about the titanic where a director is directing some really stupid people "Say iceberg 3 times ... iceberg 3 times."

Ah memories, I can usually control them with medication.

Derek
Tom Whelan

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 9:21 am 
Post subject: Great memories

Derek, welcome to the forum! Those are some great memories and stir up a lot of my own.

...a dolly I would be. Mommy, Daddy, I love you...
...a mad scientist I would be. Little of this, little of that, little of this, BOOM!

I'd love to hear the entire Court of King Caracticus song because I don't think I've ever heard it before. Sounds like it would be a good one to resurrect (of course it may have been lost due to political correctness, bleh).

It would be great to see you at the Homecoming on July 9 out at Camp. Check out the website for more information!
Dennis Wilkinson
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 4:36 pm 
Post subject: What, you mean it wasn't Zoom!?

DerekL999 wrote:
"The cat came back ... the very next day,
the cat came back ... they thought he was a goner"

Was that a Peter, Paul, and Mary tune?

I just stumbled across the answer to that myself the other day. I always thought that it originated on Zoom in the 1970's, since that's where I first heard it as a kid. Turns out it was written in 1893(!) as a children's song (yes, Tom -- that's public domain for sure.) Wikipedia has a brief article on the song with a little more info.

I actually own a copy of the cartoon they mention, on a collection of animated shorts from the National Film Board of Canada (their page on the short is right here), but it just happens that it's up on YouTube, if you'd like to watch it yourself.

I have no idea if whoever posted it to YouTube has the rights, so how long it's up there is anyone's guess.

Last edited by Dennis Wilkinson on Thu Jun 15, 2006 4:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dennis Wilkinson
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 4:45 pm 
Post subject: Re: Great memories

Tom Whelan wrote:
I'd love to hear the entire Court of King Caracticus song because I don't think I've ever heard it before. Sounds like it would be a good one to resurrect (of course it may have been lost due to political correctness, bleh).

Nah... just lost, I think. I don't remember this one myself, but it brings to mind "One Hen, Two Ducks, Three Squawkin' Geese...". This one dates to the 1960's, by Rolf Harris, who kindly provides the lyrics on his official site.

And Derek, I'll second Tom's welcome. I'd also encourage you to introduce yourself over in this thread. Always good to have some new posters 'round here. Wink

Last edited by Dennis Wilkinson on Fri Jun 16, 2006 1:16 am; edited 1 time in total
Dennis Wilkinson
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 1:06 am 
Post subject: OK, since I'm in a song research kinda mood...

Since I'm in a song research kinda mood, and my wife was busy watching bad reality TV, here's a few more interesting links:

Some background on The Ship Titanic. A bit on the academic side, but I thought it was interesting.

The actual song Garryowen. Yes, all one word; yes, two R's -- if we're using the 'traditional' spelling, anywho. This is the regimental march of the Seventh Cavalry, and is apparently a traditional Irish folk tune taken from an Irish regiment (the 7th Cavalry had many Irish immigrants among its soldiers.) The song we sing (one flavor of the lyrics here at the Digital Tradition) might actually be named "Sgt. Flynn".

How about Lily the Pink? Alternately known as The Ballad of Lydia Pinkham.

Two different versions (1, 2) of Seven Old Ladies. Total: 12 different old ladies, excluding the overlap!

Does anyone else remember The Dyin' Hobo?

Finally, Night Riders Lament, which I first heard in Philmont back in '84, turns out to be a fairly recent song, written in 1975 by Mike Burton and recorded by several country & western acts since. I had thought it was a bit older than that, myself, although it doesn't have the right "feel" to be a more traditional song.

In case you hadn't noticed from these links, the Digital Tradition database at the Mudcat Cafe (at http://www.mudcat.org/) is a really good folk/traditional song resource.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Camp Cachalot Alumni Association Forum Index -> Don't Know Much About History All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: