A   A   A   A

Camp Cachalot Alumni Association Forums

Just signed up? Introduce yourself!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Camp Cachalot Alumni Association Forum Index -> Crackerbarrel
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dennis Wilkinson
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2004 11:48 pm 
Post subject: Just signed up? Introduce yourself!

I'm starting this thread so that people who are just joining us can tell us a little bit about themselves. I suppose I should go first...

My name is Dennis Wilkinson, and I got started in Scouting back in 1976 as a member of Pack 12, New Bedford. Joined Troop 12 in 1980, and transferred over to Troop 46 in New Bedford in late 1984 (Troop 12 had just closed it's doors temporarily, and I had just come back from Philmont with a few other 46'ers.) I've been there ever since, getting my Eagle Award in '88, and even did a stint as Scoutmaster from '93-'95. I'm a little less active at the Troop level than I once was -- I'm "on call" these days.

If you recognize my name, you probably remember me either from the Order of the Arrow (I was Lodge Chief of Neemat from '86-'88 ) or from Boy Scout summer camp or Cub Day Camp. I spent quite a few years on summer camp staff (CIT in '85, Scoutcraft Director from '86 to '88, Program Commissioner in '89 and '90, and Program Director in '91.)

These days I'm happily married to a lovely woman named Kristen, and have eleven-month-old (as of this writing) twin girls named Fiona and Lilah, living in East Freetown. I'm a software engineer for a company called Media 100 in Marlboro, MA.

I also happen to be the volunteer webmaster here at cachalotalumni.org.

If you want to know more about me, you could always check out my personal web site.

So, who's up next?

"Everything that passes unattempted is impossible." - Stephen R. Donaldson
DOC
New User

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2004 2:11 pm 
Post subject: I'm next

William H. Langfield, Jr. O.D. aka DOC, Bill, Bud

I am an Optometrist and live and practice in Somerset,MA. My lovely bride Elizabeth and I have been married for 28 years. We have 2 sons Bill and Rick both Eagle Scouts. Bill is recently married to Ginger and is in Chiropractic School and Rick is also recently married to Denise and he is in Medical School.

My scouting career started with Cub Scouts in 1958. I went on to Boy Scout Troop 21 and became Eagle in Explorer Post 80 in Aug 1967. I was on Noquochoke Camp Staff from 1963-1967. Treasurer of Noquochoke Lodge OA, ASM TR 21 1968-1972, ASM, Comittee Chairman, and Institutional Rep TR 63. Massasoit Distrct Chairman, VP Moby Dick Council Camping Chairman, presently Narragansett Council E-Board member and Camp Cachalot Alumni Association Chair.

DVery HappyC
DJFORCE01
New User

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2004 9:43 pm 
Post subject: I Guess I'll Be After Doc!!

Hello all, I'm Christopher S. Dionne, Please, call me Chris.
I am 22 years old, and live in Fall River, MA
I started my scouting history as a tiger cub at Holy Family, Holy Name School in New Bedford, I can't remember the number unfortunately, and i'm really bad with years and dates, so i'm going to skip all that. I graduated from tigers, and became a cub, but honestly was bored, so i left after 1 year there.
I rejoined as a Boy Scout of Troop 15, Fall River at Notre Dame Parish, and have been here since. I am an Eagle Scout, and very proud to be one.
I have held the SA position, and am now a CM, I am a Campmaster at Cachalot, and am currently working on my Woodbadge Ticket.
I have had a fairly steady, active role in Scouting and my troop, and plan to for a great long time. As for my job, I work for Grand Wireless in the North Dartmouth Mall (Next to Sears) and I sell Verizon Wireless cell phones. Yes, the "Can you hear me now guy" I wish this association all the best of luck, I think this is an excellent idea, I know some of my fondest memories are from Cachalot. I know that I have met at least some of the current users, but for the love of God, I just can't put names to faces, but I'm sure well all get together at some point.

See you all soon!!! Razz
Scouting is a way of life. Live It, Learn It, Love It, Teach It! Eagle isn't given, it's earned. My paths through Scouting continuously lead me 2 find extordinary people who u would think never existed, if u stop and look at the everyday world.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Peter Ashworth
Alumnus

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2004 1:11 am 
Post subject: Dennis' evil twin

Hi, I'm Peter Ashworth, and Dennis Wilkinson is my evil twin.

I started going to Cachalot in 1980 as a camper. Eventually I spent too much time there and joined the staff in 1985 as the dining hall steward. I spent the next year in Scoutcraft with Dennis then got the archery range in 1987. Eventually Dennis and I became the camp's first program commissioners that went to camp school, with my last year being 1991. I also worked Cub Day camp at that time. You may remember I took over "The Cat Came Back" from Leo.

Currently, I am living in New Bedford. I married my college sweetheart, who I love to this day. We have a boy and girl. I took my love for the outdoors. and currently manage the Eastern Mountain Sports in Taunton.

This site sure has brought back memories.
eTh!nk
New User

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 2:13 pm 
Post subject: Steven Gorenbergh

I was a Cub Scout and a Boy Scout in Somerset, MA in the Massasoit Council from 1962 thru 1969. I was in Troop 21 and Troop 42 as well as an Explorer post. I was also an OA member, Lodge 124.

I think I know Bill Langfeld (see posting above) as we were both in Troop 21, but I think that he was in troop just ahead of me.

I attended summer camp at Camp Noquochoke in 1964, 1965, 1966 and 1969. My Troop used to stay in a camp site named the "Adirondacks".

I am currently involved with Troop 125 in Wilton, CT (Connecticut Yankee Council). I recently spent a week at my council's summer camp (Camp Sequassen) in Torrington, CT. In many ways, summer camp has changed very little in 40 years!

Last edited by eTh!nk on Wed Aug 11, 2004 7:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
Tom Whelan

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 7:45 pm 
Post subject: Tom Whelan

Hi, I'm Tom Whelan and, together with Dennis and Peter, am the final member of the Through Hiking Falling Rocks.

I've been involved in Boy Scouts since 1980 when I joined Troop 46 (cubs and webelos before that with Pack 145). I can remember my first summer at Cachalot and how I enjoyed it so much that first year I went back for a second week!

Because of my experiences with the Boy Scouts I (along with my best friends Dennis and Peter) hiked the entire Applachian Trail in 1992 and became possibly the first Eagle Scout trio to ever complete the Trail as a group.

I'm married to Sarah (Dennis' cousin, which makes us related) and I have a beautiful 8 month old son, Mitchell.

Yes, as my profile states, I live in the old scout office on Grove Street in New Bedford. My wife and I were fortunate to be in the right place at the right time to purchase the house. The last 4 years have been a flurry of renovation activity. If you saw it now you wouldn't recognize it and I encourage anyone who wants to stop in and say 'Hi' (as long as we're home).

Curently I am Vice Chair of the Alumni Association and soon to be a lifetime member of the association so that Cachalot will be there for my son to enjoy in another decade.
rockfall13
Alumnus

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 1:05 am 
Post subject:

Alright, so the guilt trip about not introducing myself finally worked...

Let's see, where do I begin: Oh, yeah, my name is Jeff Dumais.
I attended my first Cub Scout meeting in Sept. 1977 with Pack 15, Notre Dame Parish, Fall River. My Pepere likes to remind me from time to time that he had to hold my hand while I cried that I didn't want to go as we walked down the sidewalk to the entrance to the school. I ended up enjoying every minute of my time there and convinced several friends from school to join too. My first camping trip as a Webelos Scout was to Camp Noquochoke in 1980.

I joined Troop 15 in April of 1981. Attended my first Troop summer camp in Myles Standish State Forest that July. We biked over to Cachalot to use the waterfront and go to the Trading Post. My first Cachalot summer camp was 1982. My first multiple-week summer as a camper was 1984. I joined the Staff as a CIT in 1985. Was the Asst. Scoutcraft Director in 1987-8. I spent the summer as a Staff helper living in camp, but working in Myles Standish in 1989.

I've been through pretty much all of the Troop level positions: SA 1988-1992?, MC 1992?-2000, SM 2000-2003, MC 2003-present. All with Troop 15. I've served as Klondike Derby Chairman, Unit Commissioner, District Activities Committee, District Boy Scout Training Coordinator, and Powderhorn Staff. And probably more.

I attended the NE-I-226 Woodbadge course at Camp Cachalot in 2003 and am currently working towards earning my beads. And, I'm a Vigil Honor member of the Abnaki Lodge of the Order of the Arrow.

I currently work as a seasonal Park Ranger for the Massachusetts Department of Conservation and Recreation. I've been married for a little over 8 years to Karrie, who is the current Ranger at Cachalot. We have a cat named Precious who is 15 years old and a 5 year old German Shepherd named Minka.

And that's just the Cliff's Notes.
Scouting will stand or fall by you.

- From The Gilwell Camp Fire Book
mjoseph
Tenderfoot

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 2:54 pm 
Post subject: Hello world!

My name is Michael R. Joseph and I have been involved with Scouting in one way or another since I was born. I used to spend summers as a baby at Squaw Corner in Cachalot with my grandfather, Jack Byrne, and my grandmother, Antonette "Toni" Byrne. Mrs. Higgins taught me to swim and Al Langlais (along with my grandfather) even changed my diaper once. Some of you guys were probably also on staff with my uncle, Dan Byrne.

I was born in 1978 and am 26 years old. I "officially" started my career in Scouting as a Tiger Cub, then I went on to Cub Scouts in Pack 55 out of Fairhaven, and as a Boy Scout in Troop 46 out of New Bedford I earned my Eagle Scout in 1996.

My first years at Camp Cachalot Cub Day Camp are a blur to me. All I remember was that I had a blast and I couldn't wait until I was old enough to spend the entire week overnight there. However, my first year as a Scout was terrible. I remember being homesick and wanting to go home early. Mostly because the weird and wacky Tim Roderiques, who shared my Adirondack, kept me awake at night with his goofyness and I couldn't sleep. Russ Monast, my scoutmaster at the time, convinced me to stay and I haven't looked back since. I BEGGED my parents each year to let me stay an extra week in Cadre. I have fond memories of Pete doing "The Cat Came Back", my grandfather doing "Silly Willy" and "Herbert the Bear", and the many antics of Pete, Dennis, Tom, and the rest of the staffers of the time. Looking through the old Staff photos sure brought back some memories. For me, those were the "Golden Years" of Cachalot. I loved every minute.

I did two years on staff at Cachalot. I was (unofficially) Assistant Rifle Range Director under Larry Bibeau, and I was Scoutcraft Director.

Currently I am living in New Bedford and working at a local, family owned computer shop called NetComm Services, Inc. After taking a short hiatus because of school and work, I am now in my third year as a leader with Troop 46 and am currently the Advancement Chairman and Webmaster of http://www.troop46.net . Friends have come and gone, but the friends that remain are the very same friends I made in Troop 46 and at Camp Cachalot. Of this, I am very proud. I look forward to many more memorable years in scouting.

That's all for now, folks!

-Mike
Dave G
Senior Alumnus

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 7:07 pm 
Post subject:

Hi my name is David A. Goldrick (not to be mistaken for my dad David L...you see there is no jr after my name Smile ) Anyway I started my scout exp when I was born. I use to live in the cooks cabin for a summer when I was young. (if you take a look at the 1970 staff photo you'll can see my dad,mom, two uncles and grandfather also you can see the guy my younger brother Aaron was named after but..it was three years before I was born). I remeber feeding the ducks at Five mile when I was real young. ( I wonder where all the ducks went?)
Anyway I came back into scouting in 198 something. I would go to camp as a camper then get roped (maybe it was committed) into being a CIT. My first offical year was 1989 I was in the kitchen. (Dennis you might have to change that in the picture). The next two years i was in soutcraft. Then I was the director for some years... moved on to the archery range. then somehow I was the cadre leader... and finally ended up on the H2Ofront. in 1996. (I have come to the conclusion that Frank Schultz and I worked there a long long time) It did not end there I went over to the Cape Cod camp and worked there for three years......H2O and the COPE Director... (whhooeee.)

I have a million stories about most of the peolpe,so far, on this web page so ask. If you would some interesting tid bits.....I would be more than happy to let the cat out of the bag Twisted Evil
Michael Escobar
Tenderfoot

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 1:59 am 
Post subject:

Hello, I just stumbled across this site. It is good to see and hear about Camp Cachalot again.

I'm Mike Escobar. I started in troop 16 in Swansea (I think I joined ~1970). I was involved in the OA for many years. (Chief around 1977).

At Camp Cachalot, I was on staff from 1976 to 1982. I was mostly in scout craft. For a number of years I was the director of scoutcraft and one year I ran archery. Also, I filled in as the acting program director for 2nd half of two camp sessions.

Unfortunately, I have not been back to Camp Cachalot since 1982. I have always wanted to drop in to see how big the trees have gotten.

Anyway, after the family campout during labor day weekend of 1982 at Camp Cachalot, I went off to graduate school in statistics. After getting my PhD, I have been a professor at several different schools and I have finally landed in Toronto. I have married a wonderful woman and now have three girls ages 13, 12, and 12.

I have not noticed a lot of people on this site from my time period, but I would love to hear from any of the old gang.

Take care,

Mike
rdexter
New User

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2005 11:19 pm 
Post subject: hello

It has been a long time, but for someone who generally has a horrible memory, I remember many of you surprisingly well. My name is Ryan Dexter. I was a member of troop 474 in Westport until graduating high school in 1991. My father Steve Dexter was scoutmaster after Dan Boucher for several years. My grandfather Sam Dexter was scoutmaster of troop 55 in Fairhaven when my dad was a boy. Bob Brisson was one of our leaders and was very involved at the council level. His son Shawn was a good friend of mine throughout my scouting career. I have fond memories of the 89' Jamboree troop and winning the Klondike Derby (in record time I might add Wink ). I earned Eagle in 1990.

I met my wife Katie at UMass/Amherst where I majored in music. We have been married for six years and have a 1 1/2 year-old daughter named Amelia. We live in Millis. I am the 5-8 band director for the Medfield public schools. I actually tried to get involved with one of the Medfield troops a few years ago but I just didn't have the time. I look forward to becoming active again someday.

Thank you to everyone involved with the alumni association and this webisite. My dad read about it in the Standard Times and passed on the web address. You were terrific role-models for us then and I'm not surprised to find you all at the center of this now.
Kraig76
New User

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 8:46 pm 
Post subject: Hello Everyone

Hey everyone, some of you may know me and some of you may not. You will probably know me as Keith's little brother. I am not so little anymore hahaha. My name is Kraig Choquette and I have alot of great memories from working at Camp Cachalot. I was a camper for many years. I had the opportunity to work out at camp on staff. I worked my first year as a kitchen crew member, and the following years worked on the waterfront. As you all know camp has changed since we all have been there. Once the Goldrick/Silvia years ended things have not been the same at Cachalot.

More on me, I recently got married this past may to my wife Sandy. I met sandy at Umass Dartmouth. Sandy is a RN in Fall River. I am a Retail Manager for CVS Pharmacy(Taunton). I know isnt that scary hahaha. We are currently living in Westport MA in our new home.

Thanks for taking the time to read this, and I hope to get the opportunity to talk with you guys sometime in the future. Take Care. Laughing
rdupontcsr
Tenderfoot

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 8:09 pm 
Post subject: hi everyone

Well it took me long enough to finally post something on the forums here. My name is Rene Dupont. I've have been to cachalot most of my life. I worked on cub day camp staff for three years and have worked on summer camp staff since 1997. I am currently the program director out at cachalot for summer camp. This will be my third year on the job. (three peat!) On the off season... I still do work for the boy scouts (haha). I work as a shift supervisor for the east bay scout shop in swansea.

I think it's great to finally see an alumni association for camp cachalot. Hopefully, for years to come, the alumni association will continue to grow having hundreds of members who all will look back and realize how much cachalot means to them. I know, for sure, that I do that almost daily. I still consider it home.
JWM
New User

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 3:15 pm 
Post subject: new guy

My name is Will McGraw and I have resided in northern Vermont for the past 16 years. My father mailed me the newspaper article about this website from the Standard Times. While growing up in S.E. Massachusetts, we lived in Mattapoisett and I was a member of Troop 15 in that town from 1973-1977.
In the summer of 1976, I was on staff at Camp Cachalot in the "field sports" section. My salary was $75.00 for the entire season (six weeks). I was 16 years old at the time and really enjoyed the summer. I can remember assisting at the rifle range and archery range as these were in my section. I was responsible for conducting classes for scouts to get their "sports" merit badge. I still have a Cachalot coffee mug from that season above my work bench in the basement. Give me some time and I'll dig through some old photo albums and attempt to post them on this site.
Dennis I. Greene
New User

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 7:02 pm 
Post subject:

Greetings. My name is Dennis Greene, and I was a camper from troop 8 during 1955, 1956 and 1957. I went to Philmont for the summer in 1958 and then worked as the pioneering counselor in 1959. So we're talking 50 years ago. My friend David glicksman and I spent the whole summer at Cachalot in '55 and '56, spending each week or two with a different troup and set of scoutmasters, so by the end of the first summer, at 11 years old, we felt pretty experienced. David and I also went with the Cachalot contingent to Valley Forge in 1957, and to Philmont for the summer in 1958. I hadn't had any connection with scouting since 1959 until 2 years ago when a golfing buddy invited me to play in a golf tournament sponcered by the council. I began thinking, as we old folks do, about Ed Tavares, Stan Kostokas, Dick santos, Dick Pinto, Paul Miller, Tommy Perry, Bill Blaisdell, Joe Duggan, and Jimmy Cotter and experienced a wave of nostalgia. It nice to see the camp is still going strong.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Camp Cachalot Alumni Association Forum Index -> Crackerbarrel All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: