A   A   A   A

Camp Cachalot Alumni Association Forums

Anti-spam security change

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Camp Cachalot Alumni Association Forum Index -> Site Announcements and Information
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dennis Wilkinson
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2004 2:10 pm 
Post subject: Anti-spam security change

This won't affect anyone who has already registered, but I thought I'd post a quick note about a change I made this morning to the registration process.

Over the last few days (since our site is now in most of the major search engines and indexes,) I've seen a number of users added by a "spam 'bot" - an automatic process - whose sole purpose seems to be adding users to the forum whose "home page" link goes to a scam site (the ones I've been fighting with have been to shady "cash advance" sites.) The users didn't have anything valid about them except the web site, and never posted any messages, but it is still an annoyance.

I have deleted all the users added by this process.

To help prevent this from happening again, I've added some code to the registration process that displays a picture of a random sequence of letters and numbers that someone signing on must enter exactly as it appears in a new spot on the registration form. The actual code is not present anywhere as text, and the graphic is "fuzzed out" a little to defeat 'bots that might try to use character recognition to figure it out without making it illegible to actual human beings. This won't stop an actual human trying to create such an account, but these kinds of things are usually done by automatic software anyway. You get 3 tries to enter the right code, after which you're locked out of the registration process for the rest of the session (about an hour.)

Since it only happens at registration time, it shouldn't be a big deal to users. The only thing that might catch people signing up off guard is that the code is case-sensitive (i.e. "A" is not the same as "a"), but this is noted on the form.

Note that nobody's accounts were compromised or anything like that, this was strictly new, invalid, accounts being created that would show up in the member lists. Because invalid email accounts were being supplied, they'd never even have been allowed to post.

Many thanks to Jeff Dumais for spotting the first such user (and telling me about it!)

"Everything that passes unattempted is impossible." - Stephen R. Donaldson
Dennis Wilkinson
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 1:44 pm 
Post subject: Another change to fight the spam bots...

Since I put the "visual confirmation" described above into place, the spam-bots have gotten a bit more intelligent, and several of them can now "read" the graphic and get by that block. This has resulted in several fake users being registered and used to post spam, mostly in the form of ads for online gambling, pharmaceuticals, and the other usual suspects. I've been deleting nearly a dozen a day over the last few weeks.

Since several other people who use the same forum software that we do have reported success with the technique, new users will now have to enter a "forum key" when they register. This key can be found on the forum FAQ page. Apparently, the combination of the key word being mixed in with plain English and being on a different page entirely do the trick, at least today, with blocking the 'bots from registering.

Anyone who has difficulty registering for the forum can always drop me an email. I'm more than happy to create an account for you.

"Everything that passes unattempted is impossible." - Stephen R. Donaldson
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Camp Cachalot Alumni Association Forum Index -> Site Announcements and Information All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: