A   A   A   A

Camp Cachalot Alumni Association Forums

Campfire songs
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Camp Cachalot Alumni Association Forum Index -> Don't Know Much About History
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Peter Ashworth
Alumnus

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2004 12:56 am 
Post subject: Campfire songs

I don't know why we didn't start this sooner but what about your favorite campfire songs? I enjoyed the classics like "Dummy Line", "Johny Verbeck" or "Seven Old Ladies". I liked when someone brought in a song like "Gary Owen" or "Whiskey in the Jar", it felt like it lent gravity to the campfire to have a song like that. Anyone know what I mean?
What songs, if any, are still sung at camp? Is there a song that has been sung continually at camp, one that every camper knows? I would guess that the "Cachalot Hymn" has come and gone.

"And they didn't laugh, And they didn't cry, all they did was go like this, And a right....." - Name that tune..
rockfall13
Alumnus

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2004 10:35 am 
Post subject:

Yup, there's a few that are still around. You're right about the Cachalot hymn, it comes and goes. One of the favorite campfire enders lately has been "Night Rider's Lament," this one always makes my skin crawl and my eyes blur.

I haven't been to a campfire in a couple of years because of work schedule, but I know "The Birdie Song" and "Rise and Shine" are breakfast favorites. To me, there are a few of the more recent ones that are a little less appealing, but the staff and campers seems to enjoy them. They still do the "Welcome to Cachalot" and "Father Abraham" and "American Railroad."

One I miss is "Green Grow The Rushes." I haven't heard that in quite a while. I also haven't heard anyone do "Gary Owen" in years.

"Quartermaster's Store," now there's one that needs to be back. As I think, there's more but let's see what else comes up.
Peter Ashworth
Alumnus

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2004 10:27 pm 
Post subject: It was sad, so sad..

Has the Titantic song come back, or is it still considered un PC?

I should mention "The Cat Came Back" that I attribute to Lee Guertin (formly Leo). I don't know why I didn't just let that song fade away when he left.

Don't forget Kurt Guba's wonderful renditions of "The Bloody Red Baron" and "Does Your Chewing Gum Lose Its Flavor...." Not traditional, but wonderful none the less.

I have to ask, does any one want to join me in the "Eskimo song (aka I zigga zumba)"?
Dennis Wilkinson
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2004 10:49 pm 
Post subject: Re: It was sad, so sad..

Peter Ashworth wrote:

I never quite understood the issue around that particular song (provided, of course, you stay away from the "christened it with beer..." verse.) Certainly nowhere near as questionable as, say, "Rooty Toot Toot."

Quote:
I have to ask, does any one want to join me in the "Eskimo song (aka I zigga zumba)"?

Just as long as I'm not standing directly across from you... then again, I'd actually be singing.

I always liked the more "traditional" songs. "The Quartermaster's Store" is a great one, but I always liked the sea shantys -- songs like "Blow Ye Winds."

"Everything that passes unattempted is impossible." - Stephen R. Donaldson
Peter Ashworth
Alumnus

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 3:14 pm 
Post subject: Re: It was sad, so sad..

Peter Ashworth wrote:

Dennis Wilkinson wrote:

I never quite understood the issue around that particular song (provided, of course, you stay away from the "christened it with beer..." verse.) Certainly nowhere near as questionable as, say, "Rooty Toot Toot."

I thought the song had an odd tempo and certain upbeatness considering the subject matter. I guess there are several versions floating around at different camps.

I don't remember singing it that much but I liked "The Dying Hobo"-

"Goodbye my dear old comrade, its not so hard to die... With that the hobo spoke his last refrain, his comrade hocked his pants and coat......
and hopped the east bound train. TOOT TOOT"
Tom Whelan

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2004 2:27 pm 
Post subject: TV Songs

Just sit right back and you'll hear a tale....

I enjoyed keeping the songs at the dining hall fresh and current like when we introduced the singing of television theme songs like Gilligan's Island.

I thought it was a stroke of genius when Peter had us open the campfire with the Bugs Bunny theme song (Overture, curtain, lights! This is it, the night of nights...)

I don't ever remember missing television when I was at camp...even when I didn't have the Watchman with me.
Peter Ashworth
Alumnus

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2004 11:41 pm 
Post subject: I'm afraid to admit it..

Actually, I stole the Bugs Bunny theme song idea from an episode of "Eight is Enough". Of course, we borrowed a lot in those days. The campfire ending cheer "Molly, Molly, Hey" comes to mind, though maybe cheers should be its own thread. Did we ever use the "M-money is the root of all evil..." from Smee and Blogg of King Richard's Faire?
Dennis Wilkinson
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 12:54 am 
Post subject: Re: I'm afraid to admit it..

Peter Ashworth wrote:
Did we ever use the "M-money is the root of all evil..." from Smee and Blogg of King Richard's Faire?

"...except for us, we're professionals, we can handle it." Yeah, I'm pretty sure we used that part of Smee & Blogg's bit, along with the "Strangers in the Night" riff they used to do.

Peter Ashworth
Alumnus

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 7:42 am 
Post subject: Oh yeah

"Hey you, complete and total stranger, with the scout axe...". Anyone else remember that bit?
mjoseph
Tenderfoot

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 3:15 pm 
Post subject: Re: Oh yeah

Peter Ashworth wrote:
"Hey you, complete and total stranger, with the scout axe...". Anyone else remember that bit?

Pete, that one sparks a memory! Didn't it have something to do with Dennis in a trench coat and sunglasses? Or am I thinking of Curtis of the Cottonwoods...? Remember that one? I have been slowly trying to remember exactly how that one went. I think I'm a little fuzzy on the ending. I've been wanting to bring that one back as Mike of the Maple Trees for a while now, but I want to make sure I have it right before I do it. Curt Guba, are you out there?

-Mike
Peter Ashworth
Alumnus

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2004 1:22 am 
Post subject: Re: Oh yeah

mjoseph wrote:
Pete, that one sparks a memory! Didn't it have something to do with Dennis in a trench coat and sunglasses? Or am I thinking of Curtis of the Cottonwoods...? Remember that one? I have been slowly trying to remember exactly how that one went. I think I'm a little fuzzy on the ending. I've been wanting to bring that one back as Mike of the Maple Trees for a while now, but I want to make sure I have it right before I do it. Curt Guba, are you out there?

-Mike

I am sure Kurt would be happy to hear that. For the record, Kurt would sit on stage and read a story to audience. Slowly, parts of the story would come true.
"A tall, dark stranger would appear" Kurt would read, and out of the woods would walk a tall, dark stranger (possibly but not always Dennis in a trenchcoat).
Kurt would get to a part of the story where it seemed the stranger was about to attack. "He then pulled out a long knife (axe, weapon of some kind)and... and he then..." Kurt would stutter and become extremely nervous.
"Then he...(flash of brilliance in Kurt's face)... he would put the knife away... Yes that's it put the knife away...and shake Kurt's hand" Kurt would then show the stranger the text and shake hands.
"And the stranger (Kurt pushing his luck and knowing it) would give Kurt a dollar?" The stranger handed Kurt a dollar.
"And then the stranger went far away to BOLIVIA.." and off he would go. I don't recall any other punchline than that.

The "complete and total stranger with the scout axe" was a seperate bit. Anyone (other than Dennis)?
Dan Byrne - Uncle Danny
New User

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 3:11 pm 
Post subject: Titanic song - Top 10 for sure

Come on ya'll....when America flooded to the movie theaters to see the blockbuster movie Titanic, you know those of us Cachalot Vets were annoying our significant others by humming or outright singing the Titanic song during the movie, or at least on the way out...come on....admit it!! Wink

I remember having my rowing meritt badge students singing that song after the "swamping of the boats" class, while rowing their swamped boats back to shore.

I agree with Tom!! I cannot ever remember missing a TV while at camp and I miss those simple days very much now as I venture into middle age.

Now my Cachalot curse...

Often in my position I must attend several formal meetings, ceremonies or banquets, and when someone comes to the lectern and says "Just a few announcements...." I have to bite my tongue and smile as I have the awesome urge to SCREAM "Announcements, Announcements, Aaaaaannnnnnooooouuuuunnnnncccceeeemmmmeeeennnntttsss please!!! Laughing
Dennis Wilkinson
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 7:50 am 
Post subject: Captain Captain Captain three times!

Dan Byrne - Uncle Danny wrote:
Come on ya'll....when America flooded to the movie theaters to see the blockbuster movie Titanic, you know those of us Cachalot Vets were annoying our significant others by humming or outright singing the Titanic song during the movie, or at least on the way out...come on....admit it!! Wink

"Ya'll?" Geez, Dan -- guess you have been out of Greater "Noo Beffid" for a while now. Wink

Actually, when I saw "Titanic," the first thing that crossed my mind was the skit, not the song. "Steering the ship, steering the ship..."

Dan Byrne - Uncle Danny
New User

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 8:30 am 
Post subject:

Yep, been away from the North for awhile....and let me say for the record...

"May the South rise again!!!!"

(but go Red Sox & Patriots)
Peter Ashworth
Alumnus

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2004 1:20 am 
Post subject:

Give me that good ole rebel yell...

Never mind, I'll be nice.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Camp Cachalot Alumni Association Forum Index -> Don't Know Much About History All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: