A   A   A   A

Camp Cachalot Alumni Association Forums

Campwide Themes

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Camp Cachalot Alumni Association Forum Index -> Don't Know Much About History
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rockfall13
Alumnus

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 1:34 am 
Post subject: Campwide Themes

Peter's post reminded me about something I really haven't seen too much of in a long time. This year, the Hawaiian theme did OK, but I remember some out there weeks.

Magic and Monsters: Dennis as the wizard, Tom Bednarz and I as the 2-headed monster, I think Peter was a knight, Archie was some kind of pirate?

I think we also did, from foggy memories, a western week, a pirate week, and a Hawaian week.

Anybody remember any really good weekly themes that worked?
Scouting will stand or fall by you.

- From The Gilwell Camp Fire Book
Peter Ashworth
Alumnus

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2004 11:25 am 
Post subject: Themes - Day Camp

I remember most of the theme weeks being at Day Camp. We had a Knights of the Round Table week, with Tom's King Arthur right out of Monty Python. I think we made Brenda nervous walking around camp with swords. I think we were covered since we all had our Tote 'n Chip. And pirate's week we took the camp and program director hostage and "boarded" the campfire. If I remember, the day was saved by none other than Underdog....
mjoseph
Tenderfoot

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 4:09 pm 
Post subject: Re: Themes - Day Camp

I don't remember the theme weeks from when I was a camper. I think I might vaguely remember the pirate thing.

Peter Ashworth wrote:
I remember most of the theme weeks being at Day Camp. We had a Knights of the Round Table week, with Tom's King Arthur right out of Monty Python

Pete, it's funny you should write this. The only Monty Python thing I remember being done at camp was the Bridge of Death skit. However, this year at summer camp Iggy and I did the Holy Grail scene with Dennis the peasent ("Now look here, strange women, lying in ponds, distributing swords is no basis for a system of goverment!") as a skit at the Friday night campfire. We plan to memorize more scenes for next year's summer camp and randomly break out into Monty Python acts in various program areas throughout the week. Funny how history has a way of repeating itself.

I think the idea was partially inspired by the Flying Circus. That's something I wish they still did. Hey Tom, can you still ride the unicycle?

-Mike
Dennis Wilkinson
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 4:20 pm 

mjoseph wrote:
I don't remember the theme weeks from when I was a camper. I think I might vaguely remember the pirate thing.

Like Peter said, the theme weeks were mostly a Cub Scout Day Camp thing, so I can see you not remembering them.

I remember doing Pirate Weeks (where we "raided" the closing ceremonies), Astronaut Weeks, Knights of the Round Table weeks (cue Monty Python skits and clopping coconuts), and Arabian Nights weeks (which Kurt & I arrived for in black suits, matching black turbans, and with wads of Monopoly "oil" money with which to "buy your children", kind a like a mock-Saudi Jake & Elwood...)

I had done the Dead Parrot sketch at a number of campfires, before the Bridge o' Death, but I'll admit to not originating it (Andy Meyer and Craig Rousseau were the first folks that I can remember doing the Dead Parrot thing, complete with stuffed animal nailed to a birdcage...)

"Everything that passes unattempted is impossible." - Stephen R. Donaldson
mjoseph
Tenderfoot

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 4:49 pm 

Dennis Wilkinson wrote:
Like Peter said, the theme weeks were mostly a Cub Scout Day Camp thing, so I can see you not remembering them.

I actually did do the Cub Day Camp thing which is probably why I remember something about pirates. My memory is not as detailed as I wish it was, especially when it comes to events as far back as Cub Day Camp.

I wish I could remember what year it was, but I can't even remember if I did more than one summer as a Cub Scout. I think Lois Ashley (George Ashley's mother) was my den mother at least one year.

-Mike
KT
Tenderfoot

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 8:28 pm 
Post subject:

pirates theme was great fun. Kirt Guba jumping around with an eye patch...hilarious.

cowboys & Indians was pretty good.

I think there was a space theme a few time.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Camp Cachalot Alumni Association Forum Index -> Don't Know Much About History All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: