A   A   A   A

Camp Cachalot Alumni Association Forums

Campwide games

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Camp Cachalot Alumni Association Forum Index -> Don't Know Much About History
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Peter Ashworth
Alumnus

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 11:36 pm 
Post subject: Campwide games

Does anyone have any stories about the campwide games that took place while at camp? I remember over our tenure things like Camp Olympics (Cach-a-lympics), Staff hunts, catapult building and boat races.

The boats had to be able to be broken down and fit through a small ring. It then had to be assembled, and you had to get your patrol across the pond. Each member of your patrol had to have a dry spot on the other side. It could be made of anything. I remember tarps and poles and rope seemed to be the preference. The best one was one made of soda bottles duct taped together to form a raft. Does anyone remember that event? Does anyone remember what we did to try to stop anyone from making it across dry?
Tom Whelan

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2004 4:14 pm 
Post subject: Viking Saroca (sp?)/Camp games

I remember that we outfitted one of the Sa-ro-cas (Sailboat/Rowboat/Canoes) with a catapult (trevache?) and tried to sink people...what was shot at them? Water-balloons?

I remember other camp games like when all the troops had to build a device to throw an egg downrange at the Camp Director/Program Director. I distincly remember being disqualified that year because out device was considered to be a firearm (potato gun) by the rifle range director.

The games were always a part of the Magee Day activities.
Dennis Wilkinson
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2004 5:12 pm 
Post subject: Re: Viking Saroca (sp?)/Camp games

Tom Whelan wrote:
I remember that we outfitted one of the Sa-ro-cas (Sailboat/Rowboat/Canoes) with a catapult (trevache?) and tried to sink people...what was shot at them? Water-balloons?

That's "trebuchet" -- and we were flinging large, wet sponges. The catapult was a holdover from the previous year's event, which involved building low-tech catapults to fling sponges at the Camp Director.

There was also a big 'misfire' involving running an obstacle course on stilts while having water balloons thrown at you that seemed like a bad idea even before we started doing it...

"Everything that passes unattempted is impossible." - Stephen R. Donaldson
mjoseph
Tenderfoot

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 3:46 pm 

Tom Whelan wrote:
I remember other camp games like when all the troops had to build a device to throw an egg downrange at the Camp Director/Program Director. I distincly remember being disqualified that year because out device was considered to be a firearm (potato gun) by the rifle range director.

Tom,

Yet another of one of my favorite memories. I would like to proudly state it was Troop 46 who was disqualified. You forgot to mention that. Come on now, give the troop some credit! I think that was my second or third year as a camper with the the troop. The ranger director of the time was Darren (sp?) Young. I think there is still egg shell embeded in the concrete of the latrine at Site 8 (The Adirondacks). And if someone looks hard enough, they'll probably find one at the bottom of the pond too. Roughly in the center.

-Mike
mjoseph
Tenderfoot

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 3:52 pm 
Post subject: Re: Campwide games

Peter Ashworth wrote:
The boats had to be able to be broken down and fit through a small ring. It then had to be assembled, and you had to get your patrol across the pond. Each member of your patrol had to have a dry spot on the other side.

Pete, I wish they still did this at Camp. I remember having a lot of fun doing it as a kid. I remember one year our "boat" was made primarily out of a tarp and some inner tubes. I remember the raft completely broke apart and the inner tubes separated, but each memeber of our patrol used the tubes to get accross. Because our entire patrol made it, we were not disqualified. Does anyone remember if we won that year? Isn't it great that I can't even remember winning or losing? We had fun doing it, that's what mattered.

-Mike
Peter Ashworth
Alumnus

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 11:43 pm 

mjoseph wrote:

Yet another of one of my favorite memories. I would like to proudly state it was Troop 46 who was disqualified. You forgot to mention that.

How many rules were created because of Troop 46? I thought that only happened on Klondike.

I don't know if you won, but as I recall most of the patrols were too wet to qualify. So, chance are pretty good you won.
Dave G
Senior Alumnus

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 1:28 pm 
Post subject:

I remember a camp wide game that Vince and I came up with. It had something to do with spies or something... I remember Dennis and Kurt in suits.. they had some clue you could get from them... of course it had a Looney Tunes twist. Vince and I had this thing out for Looney Tunes at the time.

I also remember another game with Dennis dressed in robe...it think it was made out of an old electric blanket. Ihave no idea what game that was..

I think these were cub scout spring into scouting games...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Camp Cachalot Alumni Association Forum Index -> Don't Know Much About History All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: