A   A   A   A

Camp Cachalot Alumni Association Forums

Wamsutta District

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Camp Cachalot Alumni Association Forum Index -> Don't Know Much About History
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sahasrahla
Tenderfoot

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 1:05 am 
Post subject: Wamsutta District

I was reading the latest Cachaletter over the weekend, and the reference to Tom Johnston being the Wamustta District Executive struck me -- at one of our last troop meetings of this year, a few of us were looking at ribbons on the pack flag (since the pack disappeared, we've held onto the flag in case it ever comes back) and found several ribbons from Wamsutta District events in the 80s, but none of us have ever heard of that district.

Could anyone fill me (us) in on where it was?

Thanks!
Dennis Wilkinson
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 12:30 pm 
Post subject:

Sure. Before a reorganization into the current Massasoit and Cachalot districts, the former Moby Dick Council was arranged in three districts: Massasoit (which was Fall River, Little Compton, Tiverton, Swansea, and Somerset), Wamsutta (Westport, Dartmouth, New Bedford, Freetown, Acushnet), and Wampanoag (Fairhaven, Mattapoisett, Rochester, Marion, Wareham). The towns are from memory, but I think that's pretty close.

I don't remember what triggered the reorg (I think we lost a district exec and decided not to replace them, but don't quote me on that.) Basically, Wamsutta and Wampanoag Districts merged into the Cachalot district, with some of the Westport troops remaining in Cachalot and some going to Massasoit, basically making the districts match up with the older Massasoit and Cachalot Council boundaries.

I think we were in the three-district configuration from about 1980 through 1988, although I'd need to confirm both of those dates.

(The district layout has changed a lot over the years; back when Cachalot Council included Nantucket and Martha's Vineyard, there were at least 7 districts. We'll get around to documenting that better someday.)

"Everything that passes unattempted is impossible." - Stephen R. Donaldson
Sahasrahla
Tenderfoot

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 1:05 pm 
Post subject:

Excellent. Thank you much!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Camp Cachalot Alumni Association Forum Index -> Don't Know Much About History All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: