A   A   A   A

Camp Cachalot Alumni Association Forums

Past Camp Themes

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Camp Cachalot Alumni Association Forum Index -> Crackerbarrel
View previous topic :: View next topic  
George Ramos
Alumnus

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 8:22 pm 
Post subject: Past Camp Themes

Can anybody recall program themes that were used in years past (particularly in the 80's and 90's)? I'd like to get some good ideas for a summer camp theme this year. The list of movie releases for 2009 doesn't look promising to form a theme around.

Thanks!

Sanfordandson65@yahoo.com
Dennis Wilkinson
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 9:41 pm 
Post subject: Re: Past Camp Themes

George Ramos wrote:
Can anybody recall program themes that were used in years past (particularly in the 80's and 90's)?

We didn't consistently do themes in the late '80s and early '90s--depended a lot on who the program director was that year. Cub Day Camp, on the other hand, always had themes at that time (and also always had the same Program Director, Brenda Pomfret.) Both for summer camp and Cub Day Camp, the themes changed every week.

I remember only a few themes: Knights of the Round Table, Astronauts, Pirates, Arabian Nights, and Superheroes. I'm sure there were others, but don't remember any more off the top of my head. The first four of those were day camp themes, the last one I remember both at day camp and during regular summer camp. The staff tended to twist up the theme a little: Knights of the Round Table got some Monty Python flair, Arabian Nights got you staff guys in dark suits and sultan's turbans carrying wads of Monopoly money, and so on. Superheroes also got a broad interpretation. I remember suiting up as Captain Caveman, and you just can't unsee Ron Courtemanche dressed as Baby Huey.

"Everything that passes unattempted is impossible." - Stephen R. Donaldson
Dave G
Senior Alumnus

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 9:47 am 
Post subject:

I don't recall any themes... However we would do camp wide games. Build a boat that would come apart and pass through an opening then be put back together... Egg throwing device... sponge catapult that could not use any nails... I could fill in more details at a later time if you want to know more about each game.

All the troops would get the info on the game long before camp so they could get ready.
Dennis Wilkinson
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 12:37 pm 
Post subject: A word to the wise...

Don't try a camp wide game that involves large foam blocks, home-made stilts, and running a gauntlet of thrown wet sponges. Seriously... I speak from experience (and blame Dave's dad! Very Happy)

The catapult thing was a lot of fun, although if I were to do it again I'd shoot for throwing a fixed weight for distance, rather than a sponge battle. The staff built a rope-spring monstrosity (technically a torsion mangonel) that worked really well once we figured out how to properly tighten it. There are a bunch of books and web sites (one of them is run by a coworker of mine) about devices like this that would help build a program around it, and it'd fit into a "Knights of the Round Table" theme pretty well (being a medieval siege engine and all.)

"Everything that passes unattempted is impossible." - Stephen R. Donaldson
George Ramos
Alumnus

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 9:02 pm 
Post subject:

Thanks guys for the suggestions! At the management meeting this past saturday, the theme was decided upon and it's going to be Knights of the Round Table/medievil times. Hmm, the catapult sounds like fun.

Sanfordandson65@yahoo.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Camp Cachalot Alumni Association Forum Index -> Crackerbarrel All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: