A   A   A   A

Camp Cachalot Alumni Association Forums

No More Cub Scout Day Camp at Cachalot?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Camp Cachalot Alumni Association Forum Index -> Crackerbarrel
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mikemccormack
New User

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 11:27 am 
Post subject: No More Cub Scout Day Camp at Cachalot?

No More Cub Scout Day Camp at Cachalot?

I have heard a rumor that the Narragansett Council is considering doing away with Cub Scout Day Camp at Cachalot and wants Cub Scouts to travel to the camps in Rhode Island.

I sincerely hope this isn't the precursor of doing away with other Cachalot traditions. Will we hear one day that they are selling Cachalot! Sad

Mike McCormack
Dennis Wilkinson
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 12:43 pm 
Post subject:

Cub Day Camp at Cachalot has been a contentious thing at various points in the past, too. It hasn't even always been at Cachalot (when I did Cub Day Camp as a boy in the mid/late-1970s, it was being held in Freetown State Forest; if I remember correctly in the waning days of the Moby Dick Council there were multiple day camps being run both in and out of Cachalot, trying to keep things within the districts.) I'd be sad to see the end of day camp at Cachalot, though--some of my fondest memories come from working as a resident staffer during day camp in the 1980s.

I don't know if there's any truth to this particular rumor (I hadn't heard it myself), but I have heard vague grumblings that getting kids bused in and out of camp has gotten more challenging (and costly) over the last few years. If that's the case, I'd be surprised to see busing kids to Rhode Island instead of Plymouth as being a good solution.

"Everything that passes unattempted is impossible." - Stephen R. Donaldson
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Camp Cachalot Alumni Association Forum Index -> Crackerbarrel All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: