A   A   A   A

Camp Cachalot Alumni Association Forums

Phragmites

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Camp Cachalot Alumni Association Forum Index -> Crackerbarrel
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dave G
Senior Alumnus

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 9:01 am 
Post subject: Phragmites

After DJ sent me an email on Phragmite control I did some looking of my own. I have found info on control and steps we can take to stop the spread. The short of it is that "Rodeo" is the chemical of choice and the time to apply it is soon. Cutting it down in the winter is the next step. I found a power point on how tell the native from the introduced. (What is growing at camp is introduced.) Also found some PDF's on studies and how to control them. If anyone wants to read what I found let me know. From what I read we need to do something now. Am I willing to work on controling the plants but I will need help. I don't want my kids to have to push through the reeds to see the lake.
Dave G
Senior Alumnus

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 9:41 am 
Post subject:

On a side note I found a picture I took three years ago and the growth of the Phragmites is alarming. Shocked
Dennis Wilkinson
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 12:52 pm 
Post subject:

The article I had originally mailed to Dave is available here.

When I was out in a canoe on Five Mile, it looks like there may be another stand starting to come in near the council ring, but I didn't actually wander close enough to verify. I tried looking at the aerial photography from MassGIS to see if we could track the spread that way, but it wasn't clear enough in the picture (they're shot from 5km up, so I'm not that surprised.)

For those who don't know what Dave's referring to, over the last few years we've seen an expanding stand of Phragmites australis reeds near the bottom of the eroding section of Cub Hill. This is a fast-spreading invasive species and has the possibility of taking over the shoreline of the pond. We tried to pull some of it manually over the Labor Day weekend (like a lot of grasses, it has a thick rhizome that grows underground that needs to be pulled up to really remove it; since it's not just underground but underwater, this is very difficult.)

Dave, if you wouldn't mind emailing me the photo you found, I'd appreciate it.

"Everything that passes unattempted is impossible." - Stephen R. Donaldson
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Camp Cachalot Alumni Association Forum Index -> Crackerbarrel All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: