A   A   A   A

Camp Cachalot Alumni Association Forums

Something for your summer reading list

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Camp Cachalot Alumni Association Forum Index -> Crackerbarrel
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dennis Wilkinson
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 5:02 pm 
Post subject: Something for your summer reading list

(of course, if you're like me, you do just as much reading the rest of the year. But, anywho...)

I just finished reading Camp, by Michael D. Eisner (the former chairman and CEO of the Walt Disney Co.) I grabbed it on a whim, based solely on the blurb, when it was first released a few years ago, but it sat unread in my big pile o' books until I grabbed it after getting home from Cachalot on Memorial Day. I shouldn't have waited--it was a pretty good read (although I admit I did have to put aside what I remember about the infighting and his eventual ouster at Disney at times.)

He didn't go to Cachalot, obviously, nor did he even attend a Scout camp. He went to a camp in Vermont called Keewaydin, which is one of the oldest continuously-operating camps in the country (older than any Scout camp, in fact.) Even so, a lot of his camp stories really rang true, and reminded me a lot of the time I spent at Cachalot as a camper and a staff guy. It's a quick read, not even 200 pages, and covers both his own memories of the camp (which his father, uncles, and sons all went to) and two underprivileged boys sent to the camp by a foundation his family sponsors.

Fun fact: Eisner's great-grandfather, Sigmund Eisner, founded and ran the company that made all the uniforms for the BSA for decades.

If you're looking to add a few hours of light reading, and maybe get a little "camp fix" while you're at it, find yourself a copy (if you really need a camp fix, though, come out to Cachalot on July 14th for the Alumni Homecoming! I'll be putting up final details in the next day or so.)

"Everything that passes unattempted is impossible." - Stephen R. Donaldson
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Camp Cachalot Alumni Association Forum Index -> Crackerbarrel All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: