A   A   A   A

Camp Cachalot Alumni Association Forums

Has anyone...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Camp Cachalot Alumni Association Forum Index -> Crackerbarrel
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dave G
Senior Alumnus

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 5:03 pm 
Post subject: Has anyone...

Has any one been to the movies and seen...

The Lion, The Witch..etc..etc

How was it?
Tom Whelan

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 8:53 pm 
Post subject: Who has the time....

Last movie I went to see was Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire. I found iot to be disjointed in the begining, but it definitely got better as the movie wore on.

I find it dissapointing that they do not show more magic being used, especially during the Tri-Wizard tournament.

Also saw Batman Begins recently on PPV. Wished that I'd seen it on the big screen. Maybe I'll head over to Dennis' house one day so I can (watch it on the big-screen).
Dave G
Senior Alumnus

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 9:19 am 
Post subject:

I also found the first part of Harry Potter disjointed. Too much was cut out of the movie from the book. I guess the movie would have to be LOTR in length too fit it all in. The movie however was good. One thing that bugged me was the acting or the way Dumbeldore(sp?) came across. The way he cringed at the gobblet of fire and the way he almost knocked Harry down when his name came out of the cup... not like the books at all.

The book and the movie are two seperate things and both were good. Overall I like all the Harry Potter movies so far.

Batman was great also...
Dennis Wilkinson
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 5:37 pm 
Post subject:

I enjoyed Harry Potter, although I agree with the criticism's on this one. The new Dumbledore (Michael Gambon) is no Richard Harris. Haven't seen the Narnia pic yet, although I hope to in the time off I'm taking over the holidays. Kong comes first, though. The reviews on Narnia have been that it skews a little young, not that that's always a problem.

I did lose almost two hours of my life that I'll never get back watching The Fantastic Four over the weekend. Not even a "so bad it's good" movie, just a plain ol' bad one. Flat characters, some not-quite-ready-for-prime-time effects, and all the good lines made it into the trailer.

I'll be picking up the DVD of Serenity on the way home today, assuming traffic around the store I usually go to isn't horrible. That was a good watch in the theater, and will probably be one of the discs I spin over my vacation.

"Everything that passes unattempted is impossible." - Stephen R. Donaldson

Last edited by Dennis Wilkinson on Sat Dec 31, 2005 1:32 am; edited 1 time in total
Tom Bednarz
Tenderfoot

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 7:13 pm 
Post subject:

I took my 2 oldest to see the Narnia movie over the weekend; Julia was bored through portions of it (although she did tell me that she identified with Lucy a lot). Christie really got into it and has been hounding me to take her again. The effects were good, and at the end even though Julia had been bored at times, she was at the edge of her seat.

For the most part, it was true to the book (the girls actually pointed out some places where the events differed) but to be honest, it seemed a little long at times. Perhaps a slightly more aggressive edit would have made it flow faster.
Dennis Wilkinson
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 1:43 am 
Post subject: Kong. King Kong.

Went out and caught a matinee of King Kong yesterday (and rewatched the original tonight.) A lot of the reviews say that the (70 minute!) leadup to the first time we get to see Kong itself is way too long, but I actually don't mind films with character development. I could see trimming maybe 5 or 10 minutes of it, but you get a lot of setup out of it.

There's a whole plotline involving Heart of Darkness (the novella by Robert Conrad, which, if you didn't read it in high school, you might have seen loosely adapted as Apocalypse Now) that could probably have been cut, but again, they relate it to Denham (Jack Black's character) pretty well.

Denham is really the only issue I had -- there are a few scenes where I just don't buy him as being in character (I kept expecting his hands to do the "metal horns" thing.) He does well probably 80% of the time he's on screen, but that other 20% it looked to me like he was playing himself. Of course, Nicholson's made an entire career out of that, so maybe it's not that big of a deal.

I'm a fan of the original, dated stop-motion animation and all, and I'd say the remake is very, very well done.

"Everything that passes unattempted is impossible." - Stephen R. Donaldson
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Camp Cachalot Alumni Association Forum Index -> Crackerbarrel All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: