A   A   A   A

Camp Cachalot Alumni Association Forums

Tom Cullen's Field

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Camp Cachalot Alumni Association Forum Index -> Don't Know Much About History
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Peter Ashworth
Alumnus

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2004 2:39 am 
Post subject: Tom Cullen's Field

In the intro to this website, it ponders why is Tom Cullen's field called that. I don't know. If you have any information on why an area of camp is called what it is, please post and let us know. We were trying to figure out when the site got "Indian" river names. We think it was prior to the late 80's when the program director of the time made us use them. Any thoughts?

Last edited by Peter Ashworth on Mon Nov 22, 2004 12:50 am; edited 1 time in total
Dennis Wilkinson
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2004 11:03 am 
Post subject: Re: Tom Cullen's Field

Peter Ashworth wrote:
In the intro to this website, it ponder why is Tom Cullen's field called that. I don't know. If you have any information on why an area of camp is called what it is, please post and let us know. We were trying to figure out when the site got "Indian" river names. We think it was prior to the late 80's when the program director of the time made us use them. Any thoughts?

Since I never actually answered that question elsewhere on the site, Tom Cullen Field is named for one of the old Cachalot/New Bedford Council executives. I have the specific era in my notes, but don't remember it off the top of my head.

Im curious to know when the Acooshnet/Sippican/etc. names were first applied to the southwestern campsites, too.

"Everything that passes unattempted is impossible." - Stephen R. Donaldson
Randi Harding
New User

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2005 6:44 pm 
Post subject:

I know that the field was named Tom Cullen before 1955 when my father was the Camp Director. My mother thinks Tom was a "good scout leader".
Are there any members who were campers then and remember my dad?
Dennis Wilkinson
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 6:40 pm 
Post subject:

Thomas "Tom" Cullen was an executive with the Cachalot Council from September 1941, and who passed away unexpectedly in late 1943 or early 1944 (still trying to find a solid date.) He was also a ranking member of the local Kiwanis Club, and when the Council was soliciting money to buy camp, the Kiwanis donated $1,000 (over their initial donation of $1,000) to establish a "Tom Cullen Memorial Fund" for "the construction of an outdoor amphitheater dedicated to the personality, ideals, objectives, and pure entertainment that were personified by the late Tom Cullen."

By 1951, the "Tom Cullen Memorial Archway", at what is now Tom Cullen Field, had been constructed, and the field remains as a memorial to Tom.

I have a picture of him in my notes, which will be posted in the updates to the history section that will be coming in a little while.

"Everything that passes unattempted is impossible." - Stephen R. Donaldson
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Camp Cachalot Alumni Association Forum Index -> Don't Know Much About History All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: