A   A   A   A

Camp Cachalot Alumni Association Forums

Winter Cabins

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Camp Cachalot Alumni Association Forum Index -> Don't Know Much About History
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tom Whelan

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 8:31 am 
Post subject: Winter Cabins

We are looking for information surrounding the Winter cabins. In particular I'd like to know:

1) What year were they built?
Early 1980's?

2) What are the "official" names of the cabins?
Escobar and ????

3) Who built them?
Coucil? Magee Money? Donations?
Dennis Wilkinson
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 11:09 am 
Post subject:

I'm pretty sure that they had been completed by 1980, but I don't think it was much earlier than that.

The cabins have always been labeled "Cabin 1" and "Cabin 2," but I've heard various names brought up as to who they were dedicated for. The n two names I've heard mentioned in connection with the cabins are Escobar and Seguin, although its not clear how those names are related to the cabins.

As with most things built in camp during the last several decades Magee money was probably involved to at least some extent.

For those who haven't been to camp in a while, the cabins that Tom is referring to are the two concrete-block cabins located just north (toward Abner's Pond) from the Ranger's residence (if you were to head on the main road from Ranger's residence to Abner's, they'd be on the right hand side of the road.)

"Everything that passes unattempted is impossible." - Stephen R. Donaldson
chico degrace
New User

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 11:21 am 
Post subject: Winter Cabins

Tom, I remember the cabins being built after 1980. I believe that the actual date will be closer to 1983. Probabaly not the definete answer that you were looking for but close enough. Chico.
Dennis Wilkinson
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 11:54 am 
Post subject:

Vic Sylvia, in our last committee meeting, recalls that the cabins were built by a contractor from the Fall River area named Paul Segeur (Seger?) He's going to contact him about dates. Paul was also a volunteer, and I seem to recall that Neemat Lodge had a service award named for him.

Vic remembers the cabins as being named for an Escobar and a Humphries.

"Everything that passes unattempted is impossible." - Stephen R. Donaldson
conrad rousseau
New User

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 1:38 pm 
Post subject:

Paul Seguer was a Scoutmaster with a troop in North Dartmouth at the Smith Mills Congregational Church. He was a Contractor from No. Dartmouth. The cabins were started as a project to be done by volunteers, as I recall some of the funding came from Council With matching funds comming from the Magee fund. As the project progressed it was evident that the time require to build them would be to great so Sonny Morse the, Council Exective, ask Paul Seguer if he could complete the project with his crew. The project was done using a relatively new method, that of stacking concret blocks dry with no motar then appling a coating of a mix of some kind of concret and fiberglas. I hope this helps to explain about the new winter cabins.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Camp Cachalot Alumni Association Forum Index -> Don't Know Much About History All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: