A   A   A   A

Camp Cachalot Alumni Association Forums

Sky hooks and shoreline

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Camp Cachalot Alumni Association Forum Index -> Don't Know Much About History
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Peter Ashworth
Alumnus

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2004 10:31 pm 
Post subject: Sky hooks and shoreline

What was the most interesting thing that you sent a CIT or new camper to find? A sky hook, 50 feet of shoreline, a left handed hammer? Put down what you sent someone to get or what you were sent for. Also, what was brought back?
Dennis Wilkinson
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2004 10:42 pm 
Post subject:

I remember seeing campers wandering around hunting for the key to the flagpole. I also have a vague recollection of someone from the dining hall staff providing a dough hook from one of the big Hobart mixers to a camper looking for a "sky hook."

But you're forgetting the granddaddy of all mythic quests... the Snipe Hunt!

Of course, I would never have sent some poor, unfortunate camper on such a wild goose chase... Wink

"Everything that passes unattempted is impossible." - Stephen R. Donaldson
Tom Whelan

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2004 2:42 pm 
Post subject: cannifling pin?

I remember one summer Chico (Henry DeGrace) sent a first year staff member running to the dinig hall to replace the cannifling pin in the mixer. The staff member ran from the Boat House to the Dining Hall becuase it was an emergency that this pin be replaced.

Needless to say, there is no such thing as a cannifling pin and everyone at the dining hall had a good laugh at the expense of the now panting and exhausted staff member.
mjoseph
Tenderfoot

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 3:26 pm 
Post subject:

Perhaps my favorite memory of my CIT year:

I was assigned to Scoutcraft at the time under Dave Goldrick Jr. Dean Hillman was another, quite guilliable, CIT who was assigned there with me. We were sitting around, quite bored, when Dave said something like this:

"Ok, well Mr. Sylvia wants us to build something but we have no rope. So, Dean... I need you to go down to the water front for about 100 feet of shoreline. They borrowed it from us last week and we need it back."

Dean: "Ok!" and he walks off.

4 hours later Dean comes trudging back looking like the walking dead.

Dave: "Dean, where the heck were you? What took so long?"

Dean: "Well, I went to the waterfront, but they said the maintenance shed borrowed the shore line. So I went up there. But when I got there, they said the Dining Hall took at and while I was there, they wanted me to get their left handed monkey wrench back". So, I went ALL the way up to the Dining Hall, but they said that Nature had the monkey wrench and and to check back at the waterfront for the Shoreline. Nature sent me back up to the Dining Hall for some blue steam for some nature experiment, and..."

Well, you get the idea. Basically the whole camp, unrehearsed, joined in on the prank on this poor kid. It was classic! Dean, if you're reading this, I hope you forgive us! Smile

-Mike
Dave G
Senior Alumnus

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 6:41 pm 
Post subject: Did I do that?!?

That sir is an unmitigated accusation (it's not rabbit season it's duck season). I would NEVER do such a thing.... Laughing
BrianB
Alumnus

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 8:45 am 
Post subject: Quonsetts and Skunk Punting

I remember sending some CITs of such persons (like say Stiff) on a hunt for quonsetts. It was started at the Trading Post one night. I think it was a short lived gag.

But do you remember Skunk Punting? For those of you who do not: Skunk Punting was a sport that a few people participated in at Camp during a summer with a rather high skunk population. Larry Guillette, Ig and I were the principal players (although I question Larry's punts). I only had one successful punt before I retired from the sport. I still remember the spot it occured. Just behind (southside) of that spruce tree onthe south east side of the REAL Staff Site.

Brian
rdupontcsr
Tenderfoot

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 9:10 pm 
Post subject: Oh yes... Shoreline!

I remember the days back when i was a CIT and I fell for the wonderful skyhook/shoreline joke. A few new ones have come into play over the last couple years.

"Head up to the kitchen because I need a left handed bean cutter for cooking class today"

" Can you go to the maintenance shed and ask Karrie for some fiber based tree glue and mineral based spray paint?"

"Run to the office and get me a bottle of A-I-R for waterfront"
JWM
New User

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 9:03 pm 
Post subject: Bacon stretcher

When I was a Tenderfoot (circa 1971), I and other new campers were sent out to nearby troops to ask if we could borrow their "bacon stretcher". I'm still looking for one.... Very Happy
Dave G
Senior Alumnus

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 1:33 pm 
Post subject:

I do recall telling every CIT in my area if smoke is blowing into your face from a fire just wave your foot at it three times and it will stop...

I think I saw three of them doing it at a campfire once.. Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Camp Cachalot Alumni Association Forum Index -> Don't Know Much About History All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: