A   A   A   A

Camp Cachalot Alumni Association Forums

Camping Memories

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Camp Cachalot Alumni Association Forum Index -> Crackerbarrel
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tom Whelan

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 7:57 am 
Post subject: Camping Memories

In this topic area I invite you all to share your memories from camping at Cachalot. Was there a favorite time of year, a special campfire, or a quiet afternoon by the pond that you remember?
Tom Whelan

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 8:15 am 
Post subject: Camping in Tom Cullen Field

I fondly remember my years growing up in Troop 46 and how we went tent camping nearly every month regardless of the weather. The few exceptions to this were the Christmas camping trips.

Every winter we would rent out the 'new cabins' which are actually named 'Escobar' and a name that escaped me at this time, but that is a topic for another forum.

On Saturday afternoons we would gather natural centerpieces for each table in order to give the cabin a holiday feel (good activity to keep us kids out of the cabin while the adults relaxed). We would also make natural tree decorations (popcorn and cranberry garland, ice cream cone ornaments), select a tree in camp and decorate it. After supper we made the short trip to the Ranger's house (Art Churchill at the time) and sang Christmas carols. Mr. and Mrs. Churchill always looked forward to these visits (or so they told us).

By the end of the weekend we all smelled like smoke (mmmm, pine tar) and were very, very tired, but oh so ready for the holidays.
Tom Whelan

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 8:22 am 
Post subject: The best memory of all

My best memory of Camp is of the men who volunteered to spend their weekend away from their own families so that a few boys from the 'inner city' were able to grow up in the outdoors and become better men because of it.

Those men help raise us and by doing so forever became a part of my life. My best friends are those that I grew up with in Scouting. These are the people with whom I spent every summer, the people I went hiking with in Acadia National Park, the people I hiked with in Philmont Scout Ranch where we got the crazsy idea in our heads to hike the Applachian Trail, the people I spent Spring Breaks with in college, and the people who I finally did hike the Applachian Trail with.

Thanks to the men who gave up time with their own families to become a part of my family and as a result created a phenomenon known as 'The Falling Rock Patrol'. This is my best memory.
Peter Ashworth
Alumnus

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 7:02 pm 
Post subject: My memories

One of my favorite memories of camp is the Troop 46 Father and Son weekend. Our troop would hold its Father and Son weekend every March around St. Patrick's Day. Each scout would bring a dad, uncle or in some cases a "Rent-a-Dad". There would be a service project in the morning. Maybe fixing a trail or painting a camp building. I think we would do a hike at some point. Often we had a fathers vs sons wiffle ball game. We would have a great supper and a campfire. Sunday morning would be green french toast. It was a great tradition.
Michael Escobar
Tenderfoot

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 2:16 am 
Post subject:

Quote:

Every winter we would rent out the 'new cabins' which are actually named 'Escobar' and a name that escaped me at this time, but that is a topic for another forum.

Huh???

I was not around for the new cabins. The last time I was at Cachalot was 1982.

--- Mike Escobar
Tom Whelan

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 8:24 am 
Post subject: New/Winter Cabins

Mike

You should go to the "Don't know much about history..." section of the forums to find out more about the cabins, when they were built, and how they were named.
Dennis Wilkinson
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 11:01 am 
Post subject:

Michael Escobar wrote:
I was not around for the new cabins. The last time I was at Cachalot was 1982.

These cabins aren't all that new. I'm pretty sure they were built no earlier than 1980. Two cabins, both cinder block construction, mirror images of each other floor-plan-wise, just north (towards Abner's Pond) from the Ranger's residence, if that helps jog your memory at all.

"Everything that passes unattempted is impossible." - Stephen R. Donaldson
jwoolley
Alumnus

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 6:16 pm 
Post subject:

Where to start

1st memory of camp.. as some of you know I grew up about a mile away in East Wareham. Close enough that if the wind blew right you could hear the gong (that memory comes later). Anyway the 1st time I was in campe I didnt' even know it was a camp! Friend and I where exploring the woods and all of a sudden we came out at Tom C field. About 5 minutes of wondering around down to the water front and we heard a shout and the ranger started chasing us down.. Art (that was his name wasn't it) couldn't catch us. I always wondered if he recognized me when I stared to come to camp legally Smile

Hanging out in Scout Craft as a camper bugging Dennis and crew (as I mentioned in another thread).

The time you guys came back from staff night out and just happened to help a women change her tire.. by lifting the back end of the car up. Funny thing was that it was my mother who had the flat.

The one time I was on staff (and on the dive team) when the gong went off for real (well someone left their tag on the board but it took a little while to figure that out)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Camp Cachalot Alumni Association Forum Index -> Crackerbarrel All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: