A   A   A   A

Camp Cachalot Alumni Association Forums

How long were you on staff?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Camp Cachalot Alumni Association Forum Index -> Crackerbarrel
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dave G
Senior Alumnus

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 6:07 pm 
Post subject: How long were you on staff?

My first year as a second half CIT was 1987 ( the first half of the summer I was a camper Smile ) and my last year at CSR was 1996. That makes ten summers.

Let's hear from you....
Tom Whelan

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 11:15 am 
Post subject: Started in '84

Let's see:

1984 - CIT
1985 - Nature Staff
1986 - Nature Director
1987 - Nature Director
1989 - Waterfront Staff
1991 - Waterfront Director

1988 - Took the summer off and Interned at Spaulding & Slye
1990 - Took the summer off and toured Europe
1992 - Hiked the Appalachian Trail
1993 to present - worked a 'real' job, but none that I loved as much as my summers at Camp.
Dennis Wilkinson
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 10:15 pm 
Post subject:

Seven summers for me.

CIT in 1985
Scoutcraft Director from 1986 through 1988
Program Commissioner from 1989 to 1990
Program Director in 1991

Since then I've attended several times as the Scoutmaster of Troop 46, and a few times as an ASM. Haven't been able to stay out there for a week in far too long, probably close to six years now. Too busy with the gig in the "real world."

Tom's right -- not nearly as much fun as a summer at Camp!

"Everything that passes unattempted is impossible." - Stephen R. Donaldson
Dave G
Senior Alumnus

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 9:06 am 
Post subject:

15 views and only 2 replies come on people. Very Happy This is a message board post something.... Razz
Michael Escobar
Tenderfoot

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 9:29 pm 
Post subject:

7 years in total:

1976-77: Scoutcraft staff
1978-80: Scoutcraft director
1981: Scoutcraft and Nature director
1982: Fieldsports/Archery director

Also, in both 1980 and 1981 I took over as Acting Program director during the second half of the summer due to medical issues with the program director.

-- Mike Escobar
Dennis Wilkinson
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 10:12 pm 
Post subject:

Michael Escobar wrote:
Also, in both 1980 and 1981 I took over as Acting Program director during the second half of the summer...

<'scuse the threadjacking...>

Those were my first two years attending Cachalot as a camper, and still remember some of the staffers from that time span. Two names I couldn't come up with tonight, though, was the rifle range director, who was a tall, lanky, redheaded guy (at least in '81) and the camp director (Bob White is what comes to mind -- I also remember there being a Bob Wallace, but I'm pretty sure that was "Zombie.")

And whatever happened to Dave Calvin?

Michael Escobar
Tenderfoot

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 11:27 pm 
Post subject:

Quote:

Those were my first two years attending Cachalot as a camper, and still remember some of the staffers from that time span. Two names I couldn't come up with tonight, though, was the rifle range director, who was a tall, lanky, redheaded guy (at least in '81) and the camp director (Bob White is what comes to mind -- I also remember there being a Bob Wallace, but I'm pretty sure that was "Zombie.")

And whatever happened to Dave Calvin?

Hmmm,

The camp director was a professional Scouter whose name was Bob Smith. I think he was the Camp Director from 1978-1982 I think...

I cannot remember the name of the rife range director at that time. During my time, I believe that David Trudeau was the rifle range director for 1976 and 1977. For the next few years was a elderly gentleman who was a former police officer whose name I forget. I think that maybe Rick Wallace might have been the rifle range director at some point. However, I am fairly sure that Rick started as the waterfront director in 1980 and he did it for more than one year. I think that I am getting some of the years mixed up. (and now that I think of it, I'm starting to doubt the exact years that I wore some of the hats that I did wear at camp.) However, none of these people had red hair, and I don't remember them being particularly tall and lanky.

I don't know what happened to David Calvin. I seemed to remember him gitting a degree in the computer field. Maybe Marc Rousseau knows what happened to him....

Sorry, for the incomplete answers. I wish I had some of the camp staff yearbooks. However, despite being a bit of a pack rat, living in 11 different places between 1982 and 1990 has taken a toll on my pack-ratted hoard.

Take care,

Mike

-- Mike
JWM
New User

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 9:35 pm 
Post subject: 1976 only

I was on staff in Field Sports for summer 1976. I was 16 years old at the time and it was my first paycheck that social security was deducted. I remember that it was $75.00 for the entire 6 week season. Worked out to about $0.07 cents per hour (but meals/canvas lodging provided !). I believe that Dave Trudeau was the rifle range instructor that year. He used to joke with the scouts that he had to change the range commands from "Fire at will". I guess he did not want any bullet holes in me. I had a copy of the staff year book for that summer, but unfortunately lost it in a fire in 1991. Great memories; and I remember working on staff with brothers Frank and Mike Escobar.

-Will McGraw
Troop 15, Mattapoisett
Dave G
Senior Alumnus

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 4:36 pm 
Post subject:

Mt first paid year on staff was 1989. I got paid $550.00 for the 8 weeks of camp..... I must went crazy out there...
BrianB
Alumnus

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 7:46 am 
Post subject:

"We must have gone crazy out there..."

That song has always be about working on staff to me. Everythign we gave up to spent our entire summer, summer after summer "out there."

We did go a little crazy though. Stacking up picinic tables and jumping off on a rope swing in staff site, staff rumbles, skunk punting, various distillates, etc, etc...

But we've all seen hawk on the wing.

CIT 1986 - Nature Director 1989 ( I think)
Out there helping out: whenever possible
Dennis Wilkinson
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 10:16 am 
Post subject:

It's been a while, but I'm pretty sure I pulled down about $300 for my first summer as a paid staffer, for a 6-week season including staff week. That was better than the going rate of $210, since I had "Director" in my job title. Of course, I was out there for 10 weeks including Cub Day Camp, which was unpaid.

I think I finally broke the actual "minimum wage less food and lodging" barrier my next-to-last summer, as program commissioner.

What was interesting is that Squanto, next door, had managed to screw something up with the State of Massachusetts sometime around '86 or '87 (not sure exactly what,) and ended up having to pay their staffers the actual minimum wage, overtime, and so on, meaning that things like meals, campfires, and evenings in general became optional for the staff. I can't imagine running a summer camp that way, but I'm told it's still that way.

Dave G
Senior Alumnus

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 1:10 pm 
Post subject:

Wow..If we got over time.... Work from 9:00am first class to about 8:00 for open boating and stuff like that. How could run a campfire if no staff showed up??? Optional (Ha) I don't think that would fly with the powers that be at the time...
Tom Bednarz
Tenderfoot

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 1:28 pm 
Post subject:

It would be 4 and a partial summer for me;

1986 - 1st yr CIT
1987 - CIT/Scoutcraft
1988 - Scoutcraft
1989 - Scoutcraft Director

I was a member of the Cub DayCamp staff 87-89 (all scoutcraft) with a return appearance in 1992, (slumming in Aquatics Smile ) As far as getting paid, CubDayCamp in '87 was having the camp director slip me a $20 each week to cover my lunches...
jwoolley
Alumnus

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 6:02 pm 
Post subject:

lets see.. I think I have it right below.. 6 years (maybe there was one more Scount craft year in there? can't remember now). Does the year (8Cool I went to camp (as a camper) every sing week and spent 99% of my time in Scout Craft bugging Dennis and crew count as a unoffical year? LOL

88 - CIT
89 - Scout Craft
90 - Scout Craft Dir
91 - Scout Craft Dir
92 - Program Commissioner
93 - Program Commissioner

John
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Camp Cachalot Alumni Association Forum Index -> Crackerbarrel All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: