A   A   A   A

Camp Cachalot Alumni Association Forums

New photos, new ways to keep up-to-date

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Camp Cachalot Alumni Association Forum Index -> Site Announcements and Information
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dennis Wilkinson
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 9:47 pm 
Post subject: New photos, new ways to keep up-to-date

I've added a big batch of photos, including the surviving pieces of an old camp promo slide show mostly taken in 1948, along with some pictures taken by John Woolley of our 2008 Homecoming a few weeks back.

I've been asked a number of times how you can tell when the web site has had new material added. For bigger changes, I usually make a posting here in the Site Announcements forum (like this one), but for smaller updates (adding a link to a new newspaper article, for example) I typically don't, since the update would be so tiny.

That's about to change! I'm happy to announce that we've begun sending out "tweets" using the Twitter service, even for the smaller updates. Twitter is a "microblogging" service that lets people post very short (140 characters or less) messages that others can subscribe to. If you're a MySpace or a Facebook user, you can check up on Twitter users using applications right from that web site, and if you use an RSS reader you can read tweets like any other feed. To follow our updates on Twitter, you can visit our Twitter update page at:

http://twitter.com/CachalotAlumni

I hope you'll check it out!

Part of our purpose as an Association is to help enable Cachalot alumni to share their memories of Cachalot with one another. A lot of people have pictures of camp, so we thought that might be a good place to start. We've always had pictures of Cachalot up on the web site, but it hasn't really been possible for us to host everyone's photos--we've tried to focus on historic photos from our archives. This might change in the future, but as of now we've set up a group using the Flickr service, which is a free online photo service. Flickr (part of Yahoo!) is a photo-sharing service that lets people post their own photos, discuss them, and should allow us to show those photos on our web site as well (although I have a little more work to do to make that happen).

You'll find our group page on Flickr at:

http://www.flickr.com/groups/campcachalot/

There are a few steps to getting an account at Flickr and becoming a member of the Camp Cachalot group (which you need to do to post your own pictures). If you're interested, there's a page on our web site with instructions and frequently asked questions:

http://www.cachalotalumni.org/about/flickr.php

We've been testing this out with a few of our members (thanks, guys!) and we already have a couple dozen pictures over there to look at. Of course, if you're still interested in contributing pictures to our archive but aren't interested in Flickr, we'd love to have them, and we're still more than happy to scan them in for you--drop us a line at curator@cachalotalumni.org. You can also email digital pictures to us at that address.

Our hope is that our archive will continue to collect all the great, old photos of Cachalot, Noquochoke, and older Council events that people have shared with us, along with the new photos the Association is taking, and that the Flickr group will include all those other great shots that are being taken every day, whether it's great landscape shots you've taken or pictures of your most recent Troop outing at Camp.

Enjoy the rest of your summer!

"Everything that passes unattempted is impossible." - Stephen R. Donaldson
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Camp Cachalot Alumni Association Forum Index -> Site Announcements and Information All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: